June 28, 2021
The Council of the Township of Pelee has resolved there will be no late payment charges on property tax accounts and accounts receivable in either form, penalty and/or interest, through the period ending July 31, 2021. In the absence of additional financial relief measures, interest and penalties will be calculated on all past due balances as of August 1st and the first of every month thereafter.
Property taxes are the main source of revenue for the Township of Pelee. The expenses related to the wide range of services provided to our permanent and seasonal residents as well as our visitors are covered through taxation. Examples of these services include infrastructure maintenance and upgrading, the daily provision of services, and fire and police services.
WHEN DO I RECEIVE A TAX NOTICE (BILL) AND WHEN ARE MY TAXES DUE?
A property tax notice is issued two times per year:
Interim Tax Notice (mailed in January)
Two Installment Due Dates:
- February 28th
- May 31st
Final Tax Notice (mailed in July)
Two Installment Due Dates:
- August 31st
- November 30th
The Township of Pelee also issues SUPPLEMENTARY TAX NOTICES throughout the year to capture changes in assessment resulting from property improvements or additions not yet reflected in your current tax bill.
Tax rates are calculated and set annually as part of the annual budget process.
This year’s tax rates and ratios can be found in by-law 2020-09, and 2020-18 respectively.
HOW CAN I PAY MY TAXES?
You may pay your property taxes by using one of the following convenient options:
- Cheque made out to “Township of Pelee”;
- Post-dated cheques for installment dates; please note that ALL cheques must be filled out with dates and amounts. The Township will not fill in monetary values or dates.
- Telephone and/or Internet banking options offered by your financial institution.
- Email Money Transfers (for Cdn residents only)
- Please call the Township Office for assistance in setting up required deposit information.
- US Wire Transfers (for US residents only), please contact the office to obtain necessary information.
- You can visit the municipal office in person at 1045 West Shore Road, Pelee Island.
- After hours there is a locked drop box located in the front porch of the municipal office to the right of the inside door.
The mailing address is:
1045 West Shore Road
Pelee Island ON
Note: Please ensure use of your 19 digit Assessment Roll # starting with 3701 for payment allocation purposes.
If you need assistance at any time please call the municipal office staff at 519-724-2931.
HOW DO I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT MY PROPERTY ASSESSMENT?
In the province of Ontario the MUNICIPAL PROPERTY ASSESSMENT CORPORATION (MPAC) is responsible for assessing the value and classifying property. If you have any question regarding the assessment of your property you can contact MPAC directly:
Municipal Property Assessment Corporation
PO Box 9808